Saturday, April 12, 2014

Parenting Pointers: The 7 C's of Play

Disclosure: I'm posting this on behalf of the Minnesota Children's Museum Smart Play Ambadassadors program. All opinions are my own.

I work in education, and it makes me sad sometimes to see all of the high-pressure standards that are handed down. Don't get me wrong, standards are fine. But I think as a system we've lost sight of the unique needs of every child, and have become so focused on arbitrary data points that we forget how vital things are that can't be measured - such as play.

The MN Children's Museum has a new post up about the 7 C's children need proficiency in to be successful: Heaping Doses of Play Lead to a Lifetime of Learning. I've seen this in action. My older daughter learns well from a book, but seeing things with her own eyes just makes it come alive. My younger one isn't ready to learn from a book, but she can articulate many literacy, math, and science concepts just based on what she's learned by playing and exploring on her own.

When I used to sub, I was often in a Montessori school. Montessori education recognizes the value of play and choice, and may seem unstructured to people unfamiliar with the philosophy. This isn't a plug for Montessori schools (although it is a good option for many kids), but it is eye-opening to see just how much can be gained from what we as adults may see as frivolous play.

I'll be posting more about the 7 C's in the coming months, but I encourage you to make sure that your kids get plenty of free play, whether at home or at school. You'll be surprised what they can learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment