Sunday, August 24, 2008

Soul Sustenance: Promises

This week's soul sustenance is taken from Proverbs 31 Ministries

A Mom Who Keeps Her Promises
By Glynnis Whitwer

1 Corinthians 13:6-7, “Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” (NIV)

One day, just before the start of school, my middle son sat cross-legged on the ground, playing at the foot of my desk while I worked on the computer. Since he’d been out-thinking me from the time he was two, I shouldn’t have been surprised at the conversation that ensued.

“Mom,” he started simply. “When you were little, did Grandma ever tell you she’d get you a pony and then didn’t?”

“No, she didn’t,” I answered, fully engaged and wondering where this line of thought would go.

“Well, you told us you’d take us to Toy’s R Us this summer and you didn’t. That’s a true lie,” Dylan solidly proclaimed.

I was shocked that he remembered a promise from three months back, but more stunned by his reasoning. In the midst of being impressed by how his mind worked, I was convicted. He was right! Every time we drove past the toy store, my three little boys asked to stop and I’d put them off. It wasn’t that we didn’t have the time, but taking three boys into a toy store was pure torture. Either I should have taken them or I shouldn’t have promised we would do it.

I stopped my work, joined him on the floor, and sincerely apologized for not following through on my commitment. That little 6-year-old taught me a lesson I’m still learning: I need to keep my promises to my children!

Read More....

No comments:

Post a Comment