Sunday, October 2, 2011

Consumer Critique: I Believe in You

Earlier this year I reviewed one of Marianne Richmond's books, The Night Night Book. Now I had the opportunity to review another one, I Believe in You. I'll admit it, this book got me a little choked up. I had supportive parents and I remember as a kid dealing with a lot of tough situations, but their love really helped.

This book is appropriate for kids of all ages. Everyone from toddlers to high schoolers needs to hear from their parents that they believe in them. I'm not a fan of generic praise, or of puffing your kids up with false expectations, but at the same time, I know how important it is for kids to know that no matter what, they have adults in their lives who support them and believe that they can be successful at something. This book takes that approach. One of my favorite lines is, "I believe in your awesome skills to shine another way."

The illustrations are beautiful, and the book is written in a nice rhyme that doesn't sound cheesy, so it will keep the attention of younger kids, yet not bore older kids. If you have kids who are struggling to find their place, or just want a book to read to start the message early that you believe in your kids, this book is a great choice.

Disclosure: I received a complementary copy of this book to facilitate my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment