Thursday, June 21, 2012

Consumer Critique: The Band Plays On

I had a chance to review The Band Plays On: Going Home for a Music Man's Encore by Rick D. Niece. The book, which will be available in July, is part of the Fanfare for a Hometown series (you can find more information at Rick Niece Books). If you liked the movie Mr. Holland's Opus, you'll likely enjoy the book, as it highlights a journey home to play in his father's final performance when he's invited to direct an encore concert.

My husband really is interested in this book. He was trained as a music teacher, and loves small-town America, so this book is a perfect fit for him. If you buy the book, you'll also be supporting music in schools, as one dollar for every copy of The Band Plays On sold will go directly to Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation.  Plus, from now through July 16 they’re also running a campaign where for every new fan who likes the FB page www.facebook.com/rickniecelifelessons - they will also donate $1 in addition.  

I was able to do a Q&A with the author as well about the book.


- You are a lifelong educator and a university president. What lessons did you learn from your father? What influence do you hope to have on the students in your charge at the University of the Ozarks?

At first, I was hesitant to become an educator because I feared I would spend my career in my father’s shadow. In time, I established my own credibility and, as an administrator, eventually took a different path than my father did.

From my father, I learned a simple, yet often forgotten lesson—students always come first. Students are the purpose for schools and education. I never, in all my different roles within this magical profession, have forgotten that.

The influence that I hope to have on students as a University President is being a servant leader. I am not embarrassed to have students see me do menial tasks: making coffee, moving chairs, picking up litter on the sidewalk, etc. In order to teach the principles and rewards of servant leadership, you have to be a servant leader yourself.


- What do the present-day residents of DeGraff think about your books? Do you think the character of DeGraff is the same now as it was when you were a child? How have things changed?

Rick Niece: I was never more nervous than when I went home to DeGraff to do a book signing for Side-Yard Superhero. I was face to face with the real-life characters I depicted in my book. And on that most amazing, most exhilarating day, they were lined up in the small downtown library, queued out the door, and stacked down Main Street with books in hand for me to sign. I spent as much time with each one as possible while they told me what they liked about the book, as well as what I had forgotten between us (hinting, I think, to be in Book 2—and some are!)

Three young girls who had distant relatives mentioned in Side-Yard Superhero chided me that everything seemed true, except for the lady who wore only a bra from the waist up. They said that could never happen in conservative DeGraff.

Before I could answer that charge, one of the elderly matrons of DeGraff—whose book I had signed earlier but who stayed around for another round of cookies—jumped in. “Not only did Fern wear only a brassiere, that brassiere was always dirty!” The girls doubted me no longer.

I will soon find out if the citizens of DeGraff like The Band Plays On. In September, I am invited back to DeGraff for the annual Country Fair to sign books and to serve as the Grand Marshal for a parade through DeGraff. I am honored beyond words. And for those citizens who did not make it into the second book, I will explain that there is no need for despair—Book 3 is yet to be written!

I hope that the character of DeGraff, and all similar small towns, has not changed since I was a citizen. Kids deserve the treasure of a small town, and small towns deserve to be remembered.


- This book is part of the "Fanfare for a Hometown" series. Can you briefly describe the previous book? Any future plans for the series?

Rick Niece:
Side-Yard Superhero was the first book in the Fanfare for a Hometown series, and takes readers on a nostalgic journey of remembrance sure to tug heartstrings and strengthen community ties, wherever they may be. 

An official description follows: “A picture-perfect childhood in a picture-perfect town…Growing up in small-town DeGraff, Ohio, teaches Rick Niece that life’s best moments are the innocent ones, especially when seen through the eyes of his hero, Bernie Jones.  Born with cerebral palsy, Bernie teaches Rickie that the indomitable human spirit can never be confined.”

I was honored to have the book designated as the Spring 2012 selection of the University of Arkansas Community College at Morrilton’s One Book, One Community reading program. We also organized a long-term donation campaign to benefit United Cerebral Palsy (UCP). And, the audiobook version of Side-Yard Superhero recently became available – it is narrated by noted actor/author Alex Cord.

In terms of a future title, for book three of the Fanfare for a Hometown Series, this will be a poignant account of the last four days in the life of Dortha Jean "Dode" Niece, through the eyes of a devoted son.

- A portion of the book sales are being donated to Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation. Why have you chosen to support this charity?

Rick Niece: The Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation, which donates new and refurbished instruments to school music programs lacking the resources to purchase them, was inspired by the acclaimed motion picture Mr. Holland's Opus, the story of the profound effect a dedicated music teacher had on generations of students.

In addition to bringing the beauty of music to deserving students who will benefit from the confidence playing musical instruments gives them, this two-part donation program furthers the legacy of my father, Lewis Niece. During his years as the director of DeGraff High School's band and chorus, my father taught not only music, but also lasting lessons of character.

Disclosure: I received an advance review copy to facilitate this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment