Thursday, September 6, 2012

Parenting Pointers: Talking to Teens About College


When I was growing up, college was something that was talked about commonly in my household. My parents – who came from very humble backgrounds – never had enough money to attend a four-year college. In the hopes of sending my brother and me to college one day, they started a small business that grew into a thriving, successful establishment. As my brother and I grew into young adults, my mother and father started actively talking about college with us. They wanted to know what questions we had about college degrees, tuition, roommates, professors, sororities, fraternities – you name it. At the time, I didn't realize how lucky I was to have such involved, concerned parents. Their willingness to talk about college made all the difference in the world. Because of my parents, I felt like there was no reason I shouldn't be able to attend a great four-year university. I often talk to other people who weren't as lucky as me when it came to having parents that openly talked about college. Many of my friends went to college confused, uncertain, and unsure about all that they were getting into. If you're a parent who wants to talk about college with your children, here are four useful tips to help you along in your endeavors.
Your kids are never too young to learn about college
It's never too early to start talking to your children about college. Remember, the very reason your children are attending elementary, junior high, and high school is to prepare them for higher education opportunities and the future ahead. Throughout their years of schooling, kids should be actively learning about the benefits of attending college. If you don't talk to your kids about college, they may not see the purpose of working hard and doing well in their early school years.
Don't push the issue if your child voices opposition
For years, my brother swore up and down that he wasn't going to attend college. Night after night, my parents would sit down with my brother and try to coerce him into believing that college was the right step in life. Looking back, I wish they wouldn't have been so pushy. Throughout my life, I've met many successful individuals who never attended college. If your child voices opposition about attending college, don't confront them about it. The best way to handle this circumstance is to talk to your children about all the pros of attending college and how more often than not it's a great way to move up in this world, but that it's certainly not the only way.
Allow them to choose their own college majors
One mistake I commonly notice parents making is pressuring their kids into specific college degrees. Keep in mind, this is your child's future – not yours. They have every right to be in charge of their own future, and pressuring them into what you envision for them is only going to agitate them. When I first went away to college, I wanted to major in English and become a high school English teacher. My mother kept insisting that I should try something more sensible like accounting, business, or finance. Her unyielding pressure and insistence didn't make me change my mind; it just made me feel as if I was letting her down. No matter how disappointed you are with the major your child says they want to pursue, do not attempt to talk them out of it. If it's not meant to be, they'll figure that out for themselves. They don't need you to tell them what is going to make them happy.
Take them on College Tours
Talk is cheap. If you really want to engage your kids with college, take them on university tours. During my senior year of high school, my father drove me to different colleges throughout Texas.  My plan was to attend a school in our home state, so I wanted to check out all my options. Going on tours with your children opens up a much more thorough, relevant dialogue. You'll also be surrounded by experts, professors, and students who can assist you with any questions or concerns you might have about their campus.
College isn't always an easy discussion to breach with your children, but it's something you should feel comfortable bringing up from time to time. If you're looking for ways to talk to your children about college, try utilizing these four helpful tips.
Patricia Garcia is a freelance education blogger who regularly contributes her knowledge of universities and accredited online colleges to websites and blogs. She is deeply passionate about utilizing the intelligence and knowledge of young college students to help move this country forward. Feel free to leave questions and comments for her below!


No comments:

Post a Comment