Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Fun Freetime: Drawing with Mark

Disclosure: I received complimentary products to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.

My dad has a wonderful talent for visual arts, and I've always been jealous. I can't even draw stick figures well. So I was intrigued by the opportunity to review Drawing with Mark. Hosted by Mark Marderosian, comic strip creator (visit the website for games and coloring pages), former Disney illustrator, and TV series host, the DVDs each contain two 30-minute episodes (A Day with Dinosaurs and Reach for the Stars and Happy Tails and We Al Scream for Ice Cream) that have drawing lessons and field trips, along with fun facts, suggested reading, and more. They're geared for kids 5 to 9, but my 4-year-old was attentive and I learned something too! My daughters have a much better talent for drawing - already - than I do, and my oldest couldn't wait to put the lessons into practice. I had a chance to interview Mark to find out more about creativity in kids.

1) How did you end up working as an illustrator? Have you always loved drawing?
My parents inspired and encouraged me. My mother loved to write and my Father designed interiors for hospitals and schools. He once designed a wing for a university that housed an exhibit of original newspaper comic strip art. He was given some of the original artwork and seeing that comic strip art really started my love of illustration and cartooning. My Mother was also a big fan of the Disney animated films and we saw every release and re-release.

I spent many years practicing to draw and sketch, and I would even get up early every morning an hour before going to work, to draw and learn. Eventually, I began to receive more and more art assignments. I’ve now drawn thousands of illustrations for many of the major studios including Disney Theme Parks.

2) What was the inspiration behind creating the Drawing with Mark show?
I’ve been teaching drawing to children and adults for years, both through school appearances and regular drawing courses, including the college level. I love the enthusiasm and energy that children of all ages bring to creative projects. I wanted to showcase and share many of things I’ve learned and reach a wide audience. I think many people, especially kids, may be intimidated or think they don’t have any “talent” so they never take the chance to express themselves creatively. I believe that everyone can draw and unlock their own creativity. Drawing with Mark allows everyone to see the fun in drawing and hopefully be encouraged to pursue the creative arts.

Producing the program in collaboration with many talented people makes this possible. I receive letters from people who are in areas hard-hit by the economy, who do not have access to art and creative programs and are happy to have the chance to watch and draw along. I’m thrilled that we are reaching people of all ages, including senior citizens.

3) How can parents encourage creativity in kids? 
We have a board of advisors and we all say the same thing based on our experience as parents and educators: just keep the opportunity available. It’s as simple as having a box of crayons and paper available. My daughter made amazing sculptures from paper and tape. She even made an inner-tube for swimming from paper and tape.  (It didn’t float too well though!). The “tools” are everywhere and nothing expensive or “fancy” is needed to be creative. So even a connect-the dot activity or coloring can open up a discussion of how colors mix together to produce other colors.

It’s fun engaging in discussions with children about different ways to look at every day objects. I often tell children to look out their window and draw what you see because that view out the window is unique just for you. I say in the program that you can draw just about anything in life using a circle, square and triangle. And you can!

Creativity can be expressed in so many ways and is such a critical part of kids’ development.  Also their ability to express themselves…even if it’s just to be silly.
So many studies have shown that being creative helps in other areas of study too like Math and Science. The guests we have on the show that are experts in their field also help show the broad range of creativity possible in the sciences as well.
It also flexes your mental muscles for thinking “outside the box” and examining different ways to solve problems.

4) Is drawing well an innate ability, or is it something that can be learned?
Drawing is a personal journey, unique to each individual’s activity. I define “drawing well” not as something that will hang in a museum one day, but as the creation of art that has evidence of sincere effort within it. Drawing, as with most creative expression whether its music or singing or painting, involves constant practice. It’s like climbing stairs, taking it one step at a time. You can look back at how far you’ve traveled, and each step ahead is another plateau, leading to the next. 

The craft of drawing I believe is possible for anyone to learn. It may come more easily to some than to others but with practice and the desire to learn, really anyone can learn to draw. I’ve taught hundreds of people who have never had formal training before and they’ve acquired drawing skills that have launched them on their own creative journey.


Expressing ourselves creatively is such an important aspect of being human and it all comes from a desire and spark within us to try to make something new, whether the medium used is clay, pencil, watercolors or film.  And it’s fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment