Monday, January 20, 2014

Consumer Critique: In a Heartbeat

Disclosure: I received complimentary products to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.

Laura Doherty is an independent recording artist who has won Parent's Choice Awards for her first two albums. She's releasing a new one, In a Heartbeat, just in time for Valentine's Day (available February 11th). The songs on the album are perfect for young kids up through early elementary, but aren't so kiddish that they're annoying to parents. She has a friendly, real voice and a laid-back, jazzy style. There's even a song that teaches kids about the parts of a drum kit (that was my girls' favorite) and a song titled "It's Ok to be Shy."

I had a chance to interview Laura to find out more about her.

What inspired you to start recording children's songs?
I was songwriting and recording adult music for nearly ten years, all the while working with kids in the Wiggleworms programs (early-childhood music program) at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago, when I decided to try writing original children's songs. The first children's song I wrote, called "El Train" was born on the El train in Chicago, riding downtown to a gig and I was running late. My nervous energy turned into singing lyrics on the train, and it turned into a song! I tested it out in my music classes and noticed the moms in the circle were singing along right away, and the kids loved "riding on the train" too!

How did your hometown and your current city add to the feel of the music on this album?
I've been living in Chicago for nearly 20 years, so I consider it my hometown. Chicago's got such a rich jazz, blues and folk culture which I think is reflected in these songs and certainly where I get some of my musical influence. 

I spent the first 18 years of my life growing up in the suburbs of NY (Westchester County), and recently got to spend half a year living there in 2012 (teaching music in preschools, and touring in the northeast). I also did quite a bit of songwriting for the record during my time in NY. Woolly Bear is a song about the fuzzy caterpillars I saw there in the Fall, which I have not seen in the midwest. I also wrote Butterfly and Heartbeat in NY. The nature and beauty of the area is reflected in my songs. I'm now back living in urban Chicago, but I have lots of love for both Chicago and NY!

How would you describe your musical style?
My musical style is acoustic, breezy folk-pop for kids and families that's very harmony-driven. When performing with my band, my live show features lots of acoustic instruments, including guitar, upright bass, mandolin, ukulele and more.

Are there any favorite songs you remember loving as a kid?
Favorite songs as a kid...starting from around age 7 or 8 yrs.
- I was really into the "Free to Be You and Me" record, and the music from Broadway's "Annie"
- I also liked lots of 70s soft-rock...records that were in my parents' collection: Barry Manilow, The Carpenters 
- I also liked all my brother's records...Billy Joel, Air Supply, and then later in high school when I was learning to play guitar I was obsessed with the Beatles, Neil Young, James Taylor, CSN, Indigo Girls....anything with a great harmony
--I've always loved music since I was a young child. My earliest memory (around age 4 or 5) is my mom dancing in the kitchen to "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head," which I recorded on my first children's album "Kids in the City."
--Paper Moon, which I recorded on "In a Heartbeat" is actually a song I learned in middle school chorus and it always stuck with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment