Thursday, January 2, 2014

Soul Sustenance: God's Little Princess' Bedtime Devotional

Disclosure: I received complimentary products to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.

Our family does bedtime devotions with our two little girls, ages four and six. We used to just do Bible stories, but now we're at the stage of looking for something more - unique looks at Bible stories or ways to apply Bible lessons to daily life. I had the chance recently to review God's Little Princess' Bedtime Devotional and for my older daughter is is absolutely perfect. She loves all things princesses and pink, and the title and cover really appealed to her right off the bat - before we even started reading! My younger daughter is a little more of a tomboy, but even she likes being called a princess once in a while.

Then we got into the devotions. There are enough devotions to last us about four months, and they cover a lot of topics that every little girl faces - selfishness, forgiveness, obedience, love. The devotions are short, yet powerful. I liked the length - it helped with my younger daughter's attention span. I also liked the format. Each night starts with a Bible verse, then a lesson, then "good-night giggles and grace" with a mini-game or activity and lesson reinforcement. The activity also really helped my younger daughter, who needs more of the hands-on object lessons, and encouraged my older daughter to think a little more deeply. The devotions all end with a brief prayer that worked perfectly for having the girls repeat after me.

This would work perfectly for any parent of young girls. Most of the topics worked well for boys too, so don't be worried about using this in a mixed-gender devotion time, you just might want to mentally edit the devotions with titles like "A Job Fit for a Princess." I'm really glad I got to review this book, and my daughters are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment