Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Mealtime Magic: Shredded Wheat Recipes

Disclosure: I received complimentary products to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.

When I got the chance to try out Post Shredded Wheat I had no idea how it would go over for our family. To be honest, when my parents ate it when I was younger, I always found it pretty bland. But there are a lot of great reasons to try the cereal, along with some recipes that make healthy, tasty food.

Post proudly supports the Labels for Education initiative and the National Senior Games Association (they just announced judo will be part of the NSGA demonstration roster). They're made with 100% whole grain with no sodium and no sugar. And you can find sweet and savory recipes at the Post Foods website. You can also use them as a simple substitute - I crushed them and used them like I would breadcrumbs in meatloaf, and added them to a fruit cobbler I made. My favorite recipe on the site was for the Grab 'n' Go Peanut Butter Bars.

They're really easy to make. Just mix 1/2 c brown sugar, 1/2 c honey, and 1/2 c peanut butter and microwave until bubble on the edges (1 1/2-2 minutes). Stir in 3 c shredded wheat and 3/4 c raisins. Press into a pan and let cool. You could be creative and use different kinds of butters, sweeteners, and dried fruits (I used almond butter and craisins once and it turned out delicious too).

If you haven't thought about shredded wheat as a breakfast cereal, it's still worth getting to try out some of these great recipes to enjoy the whole grain goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment