Thursday, October 23, 2014

Consumer Critique: Alex's Ten-Dollar Adventure

Disclosure: I received complimentary products to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.

Right now, my kids are in the huge "I want" phase where they want practically every toy they see on TV, in the store, or at a friend's house. I've tried to help temper it by sharing that things aren't always as cool as they seem, and it helps somewhat, but what helps even more is the fact that they get a small allowance and have to save for things they want. It helps because by the time they've saved up enough, they usually don't want last week's toy anymore.

Alex's Ten-Dollar Adventure is a great book to help kids learn the lesson about wise use of money. When Alex gets some birthday money he runs off to the store to buy the toy he wants - but spends some along the way and learns an important lesson about budgeting and patience. It also incorporates math problems and a craft project to make a piggy bank.

It was a great book and perfect timing for my girls. I definitely recommend it to any parent or adult who wants to help kids start to become savvy consumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment