Friday, October 10, 2014

Parenting Pointers: College Basic Training

Disclosure: I received complimentary products to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own. 

College Basic Training  is a book written by personal trainer Susan Jensen, aimed at young women to keep them fit and healthy in college. It's a casual guide that isn't too preachy, but is very informative. Tips cover all areas of health, including mental health and body image, exercise and nutrition, safety, and more. There are essential warnings and precautions young women need to take, all in a compact book that is easy to read.

I had a chance to interview Susan to learn more.


What was the inspiration behind writing this book?
     I’m a personal fitness trainer and health coach. The first week of summer after my daughter’s high school graduation, many of her girlfriends approached me with questions about diet. They had started to gain weight and were NOT happy about it! Some were really panicking! The next week, I ran into one of these girls at the local gym and watched her as she pumped her arms up and down rapidly on the bicep curl machine. I looked at her and said, “Heather, do you have any weight on that?” She said, “Not very much. I don’t want to get bulky!” That’s when I realized these girls need more direction in maintaining good health. I also recognized that it was just going to get harder for them when they got to college. To give these girls the information and insights they need to be healthy, well-adjusted students, I decided to write a book that included basic education about nutrition, do’s and don’ts in the cafeteria, fast-food picks, snack ideas for the dorm, healthy and easy recipes they can use if they move into a house or apartment, and brief workouts they can do with body weight or minimal equipment—the basic tips they need to assure good health and fitness during these crucial college years.

You offer more than just diet and exercise advice - why include more?
     Yes. At the time I began writing this book, my daughter was a freshman in college, and she sometimes came home with serious concerns about others: one roommate was suffering from an eating disorder, another friend got into trouble with drugs and alcohol. Amidst the joys and successes in college there were issues, some dangerous issues! That is when I decided to include everything I could think of that affected health, well-being and safety. In addition to writing about nutrition and exercise, I included chapters on media distraction, eating disorders, drugs and alcohol, sex, self-defense, tips on relationships and more.

Why write a book just for girls?
     Originally I wrote it for both young women and men. As I got deeper into it, I realized that many of the issues related most specifically to young women. However, I retained some important messages for males in the book, hoping girls will help their guys! My son read the book from cover to cover and loved it. Anyone can find chapters in this book from which they can learn—even moms and dads. 

What do you hope readers take away from this book?
     I am determined to help as many college students as possible to avoid some very serious issues. These kids are trying to navigate their way through constant distraction and temptation. Let’s face it: their attention span is short, so I needed to find ways to pull them in. I tried to write College Basic Training in their language. I included both humor and dramatic true stories. I kept the chapters short and to the point and brightened the book with colorful fonts and illustrations. Honestly, I would like every parent to tuck this book under their daughter’s pillow in the dorm room when they drop her off or send it in a care package. If these kids turn to just a single chapter that interests them, it will make a huge difference in their lives. College can be a phenomenal experience for young people. However, there are many stressors and distractions, some of which can have very serious consequences. We want to do everything we can to help these young adults be healthy, safe and successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment