Winter Trails offers children and adults new to snow sports a chance to try snowshoeing and/or cross country skiing FREE at venues throughout North America. There is no charge at most events for the use of equipment or trails. Most locations offer snowshoeing AND cross country skiing, although some locations only offer snowshoeing.
Anchor Sites include:
- Weston, MA - Great urban location at junction of Mass Pike and Route 495 very near Boston. This is a snowshoe only Winter Trails free event, however, cross country skiing is also offered at the location.
- Fort Snelling State Park, MN - Cross country skiing will be added to this annual snowshoe program. Other activities include geocaching, naturalist-guided hike, build a quinzee, learn about skijoring and dogsledding, keeping warm in winter, cold weather camping and more.
- Estes Park, CO - Part of a two-day celebration of winter with many other events happening with clinics and igloo building. This is a snowshoe only event.
- Soldier Hollow, UT - Site of the 2002 Winter Olympics. After cruising the trails you can settle in at the lodge for hot cocoa by a cozy fireplace.
- Tahoe Donner, CA - New Winter Trails location with over 200 km of trails, learn to cross country ski and snowshoe with REI Outdoor School plus family-friendly activities.
Winter Trails event locations, hours and offerings are posted at WinterTrails.org as they are announced. Venues include alpine resorts, Nordic centers, state parks, National Park Service and U.S. Forest Service land. Details accompany each event’s listing on the Winter Trails website. Advanced registration is suggested, but many sites also offer on-site registration. Check the location listing for specific information.
While most events take place on the official Winter Trails Day of January 10, 2015, some are held on alternative dates. Please check the wintertrails.org website for updates.
SnowSports Industries America (SIA), a national, non-profit trade association for snow sports suppliers, manages Winter Trails. Winter Trails sponsors and media partners include: Atlas Snowshoes, Cross Country Skier Magazine, Fischer Skis, Madshus, Mountain Safety Research (MSR), Rossignol, Salomon, SkiTrax Magazine, Snowshoe Magazine, Swix, Tubbs, Whitewoods and XCSkiresorts.com.