YouTube Kids app, the first Google product built from the ground up with little ones in mind, is available for free on Google Play and in the App Store App Store in the U.S.
Families worldwide are already watching millions of videos on YouTube. The app makes it safer and easier for children to discover and explore videos on topics they are curious about with family-friendly features, including:
· Playful, Fun Design: The YouTube Kids app is delightfully simple and packed with age-appropriate videos, channels and playlists with a focus on content for early literacy. With larger images, bold icons and more, it’s fast and simple for little thumbs to navigate. And there’s a voice search option so even if your children can’t spell or type, they can still find videos that pique their curiosity.
· Parental Controls: The YouTube Kids App offers several options that help you control the experience for your kids.
o Timer: Let the app be the bad guy with a built-in timer that limits kids’ screen time. The app alerts them when the session is over so you don’t have to.
o Sound Settings: Parents have an option to turn off background music and sound effects, so your kids can keep watching quietly while you catch up on chores or simply take a break in peace.
o Search Settings: If you’d rather limit your children to just the pre-selected videos available on the home screen, you can turn off the search feature.
o Product feedback: The goal is to continuously improve YouTube Kids App, so there’s also a space for you to give YouTube your feedback.
· Family-Focused Content: Rest easy! Videos in the YouTube Kids app only focus on kid-appropriate content. You can browse channels and playlists in four categories: Shows, Music, Learning and Explore. Search videos of particular interest to your family, like model volcanoes, math tutorials, the amazing (and endless) world of trains—and everything in between. Enjoy favorites including Jim Henson TV, Mother Goose Club, Talking Tom and Friends, National Geographic Kids, Reading Rainbow and Thomas the Tank Engine, and discover new videos coming soon from beloved YouTubers like the Vlogbrothers and Stampylonghead.
Common Sense Media, a non-profit organization providing education and advocacy to families to promote safe technology and media for children, said that the YouTube Kids app is:
· "An exceptionally fun way for kids to browse online videos and for adults to guide their viewing."
· "A serious contender as a family's go-to way for kids to watch videos online."
· "There's something for everyone on YouTube Kids. Toddlers to big kids will be able to find a show, some music, or some educational content that fits their interests."