Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Book Nook: Parenting is Heart Work

Disclosure: I received complimentary products to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.

Parenting is Heart Work  is a book put out from the National Center for Biblical Parenting. Obviously, it's going to come with a Christian, faith-based parenting philosophy, so if that's not your thing, you should know that before you pick up the book. Not to say that it won't be helpful at all, but buying in to a Christian worldview helps the book make a lot more sense.

I really like the emphasis the book places on long-range parenting - not just disciplining in the moment, but teaching life lessons and responsibility for mistakes from the start. I also like the fact that the book values love and relationship building, with parallels between God's love for us and our love for our kids.

As with any parenting book, I didn't agree with everything, nor did I always agree with the authors' interpretations of Bible verses. However, I still found a lot to reinforce and support my own parenting beliefs, as well as new ways to express things to my children when I'm trying to correct them
with a loving, intentional reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment