As summer comes to a close, and the cool weather right around the corner, the dreaded cold and flu season is coming our way. To keep your immune system strong, obtaining the right nutrients and ingredients will keep sickness at bay - and believe it or not, some of the best power-packed ingredients can be found right in your kitchen!
With cold and flu season only weeks away, below are 6 Immunity-Boosting Herbs for Fall from world-renowned herbalist, Dr. Christopher Hobbs, Ph.D., L.Ac, A.H.G of Rainbow Light. With over 35 years of experience in the field of herbal supplementation, Dr. Hobbs has compiled a list of the top powerhouse herbs and their health benefits that will keep you healthy and strong all year long.
6 Immunity-Boosting Herbs for Fall By: Dr. Christopher Hobbs Ph.D., L.Ac, A.H.G. from Rainbow Light
- Echinacea - Echinacea is a popular herb that has been identified to boost immunity. Combined with goldenseal, another herb, or enjoyed alone as tea, this member of the daisy family has been found to prevent and treat upper respiratory tract infections as well as the common cold.
- Ginseng - This herb has many varieties ideal for boosting immunity and overall health. Its main active component, ginsenosides, has been proven to have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. Clinical research studies have demonstrated that it may improve immune and psychological functions as well as conditions related to diabetes.
- Garlic - This spice has had a long history of medicinal value. Studies have shown that garlic promotes overall immune health, that it is active against specific bacterial infections of the respiratory tract, and that it may bolster the ability of the respiratory tract to defend against viral infection. What’s better? It’s also a great tasting spice to use while you cook!
- Ginger - This herb has been shown to reduce inflammation, cardiovascular conditions, blood clots and cholesterol. Also a great ingredient to help aid digestion, we include ginger into many of our Rainbow Light products, such as the Women’s One and prenatal line of products, to help those with a frequent upset stomach.
- Turmeric- This spice contains curcumin, which has notable antioxidant properties. It also has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and stomach soothing benefits. It reduces inflammation by stimulating the adrenal glands to increase the hormone that lessens inflammation. It is also used against headaches, bronchitis, colds, fever and menstrual problems.
- Spirulina – worth a discussion, as this natural ingredient is often misrepresented as an herb. Although technically a marine organism, this ingredient is a powerhouse of immunity. Amino acids make up 62 percent of spirulina, making it a complete protein. It's one of the few known plant sources of vitamin B12 and it's full of amino acids, enzymes, and probiotics that help to enhance your immune system and digestive health. It’s a key ingredient in our Rainbow Light products – that’s how much we love it!
Dr. Christopher Hobbs, Ph.D., L.Ac., Director of Herbal Science at Rainbow Light Dr. Christopher Hobbs, is an internationally renowned herbalist, licensed acupuncturist and botanist, has been formulating market leading natural supplements exclusively for Rainbow Light® since 1985. With more than 35 years of clinical experience in herbal medicine, Hobbs has authored 25 books, including Herbal Remedies for Dummies and Women’s Herbs, Women’s Health. He shares his knowledge of herbal medicine with consumers and educators all over the world through lectures, and utilized his expertise in this field to found the Institute for Natural Products Research. He also serves as a consultant to the herb industry.