Flavored ice cubes are easy to make. For fruit cubes, take fresh fruit, place in your blender with a little bit of water or fruit juice, and pulse until pureed. Then freeze in your ice tray. Once frozen, you can remove them and place in zippered plastic bags for later use. If you are using only juice, just pour the juice straight into your ice tray. And, next time you have leftover tea or coffee, do not pour it down the drain. Use the extra to make flavored cubes that you can drop into your iced tea or iced coffee drinks.
Here are some fun ideas that Chef recommends:
- Cherry Ice Cubes – Pitted cherries, pureed with a little simple syrup or water – use for cola drinks or Shirley Temples, great for kids!
- Strawberry Ice Cubes – De-stemmed strawberries, pureed with a little simple syrup or water – use with cola or water.
- Mint Ice Cubes – Finely chopped mint leaves and a little simple syrup or ginger syrup – serve with water or other beverages, such as Mojito cocktails, that require mint.
- Lemon Ice Cubes – Leftover lemonade or lemon juice – serve in water, cola or diet cola.
- Lime Ice Cubes – Lime juice – use with water, clear carbonated beverages or other beverages such as Margaritas or gin & tonics, that require lime.
- Orange Ice Cubes – Fresh orange juice – serve in cocktails requiring oranges such as a Screwdriver (orange juice and vodka) or Fuzzy Navel (orange juice and peach schnapps).
- Tomato Ice Cubes – Tomato juice – serve in Bloody Marys or other beverages requiring tomato juice.
- Tea Ice Cubes - Leftover tea or iced tea – serve in iced tea.
- Coffee Ice Cubes – use leftover coffee or iced coffee – use for iced coffee or other coffee-flavored beverages.
Kontos sells its products to retailers and foodservice establishments across North America and around the world. Find Kontos Foods on Twitter @KontosFoods, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Kontosfoods and on Pinterest at https://www.pinterest.com/kontosfoods/.
About Kontos Foods
Founded in 1987, Kontos Foods, Inc. is a Paterson, New Jersey-based provider of traditional Mediterranean foods for restaurants, hotels, food service, retail specialty stores and supermarkets worldwide. The family-owned company specializes in hand-stretched flatbreads, including the Kontos Pocket-Less Pita®, Fillo dough, pastries, olives, gyro meats, and Greek yogurts, as well as nearly 50 varieties of multi-ethnic flatbreads. Kontos, which has over 225 employees and was founded by Evripides (Evris) Kontos with his son Steven, together bring over 100 years’ experience in the premium food industry. The company’s bread and Fillo products are made in the USA. Visit www.kontos.com or call (973) 278-2800.