While no one can predict the weather or when catastrophe will occur, by following First My Family’s “Six Steps to Stay Safe this Season,” families can mitigate their risk and hopefully stay safe and sound this holiday season.
Seven Steps to Stay Safe this Season
1. Water your holiday tree every day and keep it away from heat sources. According to FEMA, heat sources cause 1 out of every 6 Christmas tree fires each year. Make sure your tree is well-watered to prevent dryness and position the tree at least three feet away from any heat source.
2. Prepare for #winter storms by checking your emergency kit! A basic kit should include, food, water, first aid, lighting, warmth and supplies to help start a fire.
3. Pets get cold too. Bring your furry friends inside! If they are outside, make sure they have plenty of non-frozen water and are able to stay warm. Remember, pets are family too!
4. Traveling during the holidays? Make sure you are prepared to get home safe. Every car should have a full tank of gas, charged cell phone, food, water, flashlight with batteries, first aid kit, jumper cables, warm clothes, blanket, shovel and work gloves.
5. Be extra cautious about possible fire hazards. Turn all lights and candles off before going to bed.
6. The holidays can be a lonely time. If you have family members with special needs or aging parents, make sure they can pay their bills, have a warm place to stay during the winter holidays, and know who to call for help.7. Kids love to play during the winter. Make sure they are safe by dressing them in multiple layers of clothing. To prevent hypothermia, bring kids indoors if they are shivering and have them come inside often on very cold days. Don’t let babies sleep in a cold room.