Each year, consumers spend around $20 billion on cosmetic and personal care items, with many of those purchases going to oral hygiene products. After all, we are a nation of people who strive to brush our teeth at least twice per day, floss daily, and use mouthwash. What we use to do this task is often something we don’t give a lot of thought to, but it can actually make a big difference when it comes down to the ingredients in the products.
“There are so many choices today that people often don’t know what to look for,” explains Dr. Bruno Sharp, a fourth-generation dentist who created a line of natural oral care products called Dr. Sharp Dentistry. “Plus, manufacturers can be clever in making it look like their products are a great choice, when really they contain harmful chemicals. The best way for consumers to keep them and their family healthy is to learn all they can so they can make informed choices when choosing products.”
Many toothpaste brands contain ingredients that may be health hazards or go against consumer values. When looking at the ingredients list and overall product, there are some things people should be aware of, including:
- Most people have been led to believe that fluoride is a good thing to be in oral hygiene products, yet fluoride consumption has been linked to such health issues as hypothyroidism. To learn more about these adverse effects, visit www.fluoride-free.com.
- Artificial colors and flavors. Many toothpastes that are created for children contain artificial colors and flavors in an effort to get them more interested in using the products. These artificial colors and flavors are not healthy for the children to use.
- Non-BPA free bottles and tubes. There has been a lot of news regarding the health problems that may be associated with plastic that is made with the BPA chemical. Consumers are better off opting for a product that does not have BPA in the packaging.
- Harmful ingredients. There are some ingredients that are used in some toothpastes that should be avoided, including sodium lauryl sulfate, parabens, alcohol, triclosan, DEA, gluten, and propylene glycol. Plus, some toothpastes use genetically modified ingredients, so it’s best to look for one that is non-GMO.
- Products that are not cruelty free. Most consumers are not aware of the fact that many of the oral hygiene products they are purchasing have been involved in animal cruelty, such as animal testing, or may contain animal-based ingredients. The good news, is that there are products on the market that are PETA certified cruelty free and vegan, so they do not contain any animal products at all.
Dr. Sharp created a line of oral hygiene products to give people a healthier alternative. His product line includes wild berry kids toothpaste, fresh mint with green tea adult toothpaste, fresh mint mouthwash, and dental tape. All products are safe to use, and are gluten free, have no artificial colors or flavors, are vegan, non-GMO, alcohol free, fluoride free, and cruelty free. Plus, they help whiten teeth and have xylitol, which is a natural sweetener that also helps to fight off cavities. The products are safe for the entire family. The products will be showcased at the Natural Products Expo West in March 2016, in the “hot products” section. To learn more about Dr. Sharp Natural Oral Care products or see where they can be purchased, visit the site at: www.drsharpcare.com.