Monday, February 1, 2016

Book Nook: Rose and the Wish Thing

Caroline Magerl's new children's picture book, Rose and the Wish Thing, takes a look at the hard task of adapting to a new city or town, or any other change. Rose is living on a new street, wishing for something "small and far away," a wish thing that eventually gets there and helps her venture outside her front door.

The book is interesting. The first time I read it I wasn't sure I liked it, but then I read it again, and again, and it tugged at me the more I read it. I could really see how it would strike a chord with kids in a new school or new neighborhood. The illustrations are imaginative, dark and mellow, but perfectly suiting the mood of the story, more optimistic at the end.
 

Magerl, talented author, artist, illustrator and print-maker, immigrated to Australia from Germany as a young girl and spent the majority of her childhood at sea on her parents' yacht, sailing the east coast of Australia. This lifestyle accommodated little in the way of possessions, and so she especially treasured the East German picture books gifted to her by her Great Oma; "the two languages of imagery and words whose interplay had a profound impact on me”.

Learn more:

No comments:

Post a Comment