Don’t be afraid to spice up your routine. This dish is packed full of delicious flavor from the fresh chicken, spices, yogurt and raisins – especially perfect when paired with with a piece of warm Kontos Indian-style Kulcha Nan Flatbread.
Kontos Foods, maker of artisan flatbreads and other ethnic foods, suggests using Kontos Kulcha Nan – just pop it in the oven to get that warm, fluffy nan that everyone loves. The Chicken Buryani itself not only takes your taste buds on an exotic trip, but also is surprisingly easy to make. Your family will love making it almost as much as they love eating it!
Here’s how to make it:
1 Package (5 pieces) Kontos Kulcha Nan (sliced, warmed)
8 Oz. Basmati Rice
1 Tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
2 Medium Onions - Chopped
6 Shallots - Chopped
4 Garlic Cloves - Finely Chopped
2 Tsp. Fresh Ginger Root - Grated
2 Chicken Breasts - Thinly Sliced into Strips
1 Tsp. Chilli Powder
1 Tsp. Ground Cumin
2 Tsp. Ground Coriander
1/2 Tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp. Ground Turmeric
1 Pinch Nutmeg - Grated
3/4 Cup Plain Yogurt
2 Tsp. Sugar
4 Handfuls Raisins
- Rinse and soak rice in temperate water with salt for ½-hour, then drain.
- Cover rice with cold water (1-inch over the top of the rice) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook until water has been absorbed.
- Heat oil in frying pan, add onions, shallots, garlic, and ginger. Sauté until golden-brown.
- Add chicken and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the remaining spices and stir for 1 minute.
- Add yogurt and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add sugar, raisins and par-cooked rice.
- Cover pan and continue to cook over very low heat for 10-minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve with warm slices of Kontos Kulcha Nan.
“This mealtime adventure kicks you out of the boring dinner routine and really pumps up the flavor. The nan bread is fresh, warm and delicious, with a texture that the whole family will love,” said Steve Kontos, vice president and owner of Kontos Foods.
Kontos Kulcha Nan is prepared with a minimum of oil early in the baking process for the perfect balance of flavor and texture. Hand stretched for fluffiness, it contains no trans fat, and is 100% vegetarian.
Kontos sells its products to retailers and foodservice establishments across North America and around the world. Find Kontos Foods on Twitter @KontosFoods, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Kontosfoods and on Pinterest at https://www.pinterest.com/kontosfoods/.
About Kontos Foods
Founded in 1987, Kontos Foods, Inc. is a Paterson, New Jersey-based provider of traditional Mediterranean foods for restaurants, hotels, food service, retail specialty stores and supermarkets worldwide. The family-owned company specializes in hand-stretched flatbreads, including the Kontos Pocket-Less Pita®, Fillo dough, pastries, olives, gyro meats, and Greek yogurts, as well as nearly 50 varieties of multi-ethnic flatbreads. Kontos, which has over 225 employees and was founded by Evripides (Evris) Kontos with his son Steven, together bring over 100 years’ experience in the premium food industry. The company’s bread and Fillo products are made in the USA. Visit www.kontos.com or call (973) 278-2800.