Thursday, June 9, 2016

Book Nook: God and Money - How We Discovered True Riches at Harvard Business School

and Money: How We Discovered True Riches at Harvard Business School (which I recently got to review) outlines a simple framework and seven key principles for implementing radical generosity. No matter what your salary may be, Cortines and Baumer show how you can reap the rewards of radical generosity in your own life.

After launching his career in the Texas oil fields, John Cortines he decided to advance the biblical message of generosity full-time, joining the leadership team of Generous Giving. He was earning six figures as a petroleum engineer for a major oil company in Louisiana. He was so delighted in the prospect of shoring up wealth for his young family that his online banking password was “retire_at_40!” John was a Saver.

Gregory Baumer earned his BS in finance, business economics, and public policy from Indiana and his MBA from Harvard Business School. He was a 25-year-old analyst at a Boston private equity firm pulling down $250,000 a year. Why not drop $1,000 a month for dinners out with his wife? Greg was a Spender.

Honestly, both of these authors are way out of my league. My husband and I work for small parochial schools, and certainly will never have the kind of income to either retire at 40 or spend $1,000 a month on eating out (I don't even know how that's possible; we must go to the wrong restaurants). However, I do like the idea of radical generosity. I love being able to share what I do have with those who need it, and I do believe there are benefits to being generous. This book can either confirm what you already believe about being generous, or help you move in that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment