The commitment will invest $4.15 million over the next four years to build and support BIRTH 40™, adding ten new member cities each year. Following an initial needs assessment conducted with city leadership, the network will connect to families, care providers, city agencies, and other key stakeholders in the local community. Customized educational resources, technology solutions, and a birth plan system will be provided to city partners and expecting mothers within member cities.
BIRTH 40™ member cities will have access to a customized version of Square Roots’ BIRTH™ platform, which includes:
- Birth Plan: An educational birth plan tool and system customized to cities
- Information: Advisory and collaboration between network cities, a blueprint for best practices, and educational curriculum to implement solutions locally
- Ratings: Nationwide ratings system, benchmarking city level IQ on hospital ratings, and access to proprietary database
- Technology: Innovative solutions to foster collaboration and information sharing between and within cities by creating a new medium of perinatal care through accessible kiosks and technology products within each community
- Human Centered: Access to evidence-based research library, a comprehensive needs assessment, index of human data, and cross-city summits to encourage further engagement within network
The BIRTH 40™ commitment comes at a time of incredible need for new solutions and swift action. The United States maternal health ranking is the worst of all developed countries. Pregnancy-related deaths in the U.S. nearly doubled from 7.2 deaths per 100,000 live births in 1987 to 14 deaths per 100,000 in 2015. The average woman in the U.S. is two times more likely to die from childbirth than a Canadian woman, while mothers in Mississippi are 2.5 times more likely to die from childbirth than mothers in the state of Arizona.
The United States spends more on healthcare and pregnancy than countries with far better outcomes. A lack of focus, collaboration, and information has produced a highly-fragmented, highly-ineffective system of care for mothers across America. BIRTH 40™ will bridge these gaps and empower cities to deliver quality care in their local communities.
About Square Roots
Square Roots (www.squareroots.com) is a mission-driven business focused on defining and empowering healthy birth. By integrating new technology and scientific findings with intelligent partnerships from medicine to policy to maternal care takers, Square Roots brings needed solutions and resources to the most critical period of life: our beginning. We identify the highest impact programs and tools that have a proven health impact for Mothers and coordinate the distribution of these programs and tools between academia, policy, public agencies, and private companies.
Follow Square Roots on Twitter with @SquareRootsLife. Follow Urban Zen on Facebook and Instagram with @SquareRootsBirth.
About Clinton Global Initiative America
Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) America brings together leaders from the business, philanthropic, nonprofit, and government sectors to develop solutions that encourage economic growth, support long-term competitiveness, and increase social mobility in the United States. CGI America’s annual convening is designed to be a working meeting that promotes collaboration. Each CGI America participant makes a Commitment to Action: a new, specific, and measurable plan that supports increased economic growth and opportunity. To date, CGI America participants have made more than 500 commitments, which have improved the lives of nearly 2.4 million people.