Before you make a splash in a private pool, know that the CDC recently published a study finding that 80% of public swimming pools had health and safety violations. These are just public pools, and who knows how safe the thousands of private pools homeowners have in their backyards may be. Unfortunately, if swimming pools are not maintained properly, they can quickly become large culture dishes for all sorts of nasty organisms. Even if you smell chlorine in the water that does not necessarily mean a pool is clean.
To help maintain the safety and purity of your swimming pool this summer, follow these guidelines:
· Brush the sides and steps of your pool weekly to dislodge any algae growth and dirt. Once in the water chlorine can combat algae and your filter will cycle out any dirt.
· Take a sample of water to a local pool store bi-weekly to have it professionally tested for chemical levels and buildup of other compounds in the water. Don’t just rely on the limited testing ability of at-home test strips or drop kits.
· Run your pool filter for at least one hour for every ten degrees of temperature. If it is 90 degrees outside your pool needs to circulate for at least 9 hours and so on.
· To maintain the quality of your pool water, always rinse off before entering the pool to clean off any sweat or unabsorbed sunscreen or lotions. Make sure children are not using the pool as a bathroom as well.
· If you have your pool water tested and discover that you have high levels of cyanuric acid, don’t immediately assume you need to drain the water. A more eco-friendly option is a product called Bio-Active that when used correctly can reduce cyanuric acid so chlorine is able to dissolve and sanitize the water again.
About BiOWiSH Technologies
Originally formed in 2007, the BiOWiSHTM team is dedicated to solving global problems such as food production shortages and enviromental sanitation issues using all-natural products. BiOWiSH Technologies owns exclusive and global intellectual property rights to the development, manufacturing, sales, marketing and distribution of BiOWiSH™ products. Based in Cincinnati, Ohio, BiOWiSH Technologies creates innovative products to serve needs in the consumer, wastewater treatment, agriculture, aquaculture, agronomy, solid waste management, soil and water remediation and industrial cleaning industries.