Saturday, October 1, 2016

Book Nook: Rekindled

I recently had a chance to review Rekindled, a historical fiction about Roger Williams, the man who founded the colony of Rhode Island. I was especially interested in this book because he is part of my family tree, generations back, on my mother's mother's side.

Roger Williams was a major figure in the separation of church and state. This could be a dry, dusty historical topic, but Teresa Irizarry's take on it adds intrigue to the political process, adventure with the power struggles in play during this time period, drama with the conflict between colonists and Native Americans, and richly drawn characters that add interest to the whole story.

I have to say I learned a lot reading this book. I'm not a fan of textbook history, but this made the time period come alive. It's clearly well researched, and even though it's fictionalized, there's a lot of information in the book. It would appeal to anyone interested in our country's history, and would also be appropriate for
those who maybe have been bored by American history in the past!

No comments:

Post a Comment