1. Okaw Valley Orchard: Located in Sullivan IL, this family-run orchard has over 1,500 trees that grow 27 varieties of apples, peaches, plums and pears. Okaw Valley Orchard offers educational tours, a kid’s play area and a shop filled with fruit, honey, jellies and plenty of baked goods.
2. Basement of the Dead: Built on the site of an Aurora, IL laundry company’s remains after a boiler explosion occurred in the 1960’s, Basement of the Dead offers a 3D haunted house experience open to both adults and children. Listed as one of the top 13 haunted houses in America, Basement of the Dead is open throughout the Halloween season until November 5.
3. Goebbert’s Pumpkin Patch: Goebbert’s Pumpkin Patch is a 200-acre family-owned farm located in Hampshire, IL. The pumpkin patch offers pumpkin carving, the opportunity to feed giraffes, a pumpkin express train, a pumpkin-eating dinosaur and camel rides. Goebbert’s Pumpkin Patch is open from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. until October 31.
4. Morton Arboretum: The Fall Color Festival is the perfect place to bring the family for a fun day of activities. From mystery dinners, a scarecrow trail and a hand blown glass pumpkin patch, the fun doesn’t stop. The Arboretum, located in Lisle, IL is open all year round from 7 a.m. – sunset, but the Fall Color Festival runs through October 31.
5. Sonny Acres Farm: Sonny Acres Farm is located in West Chicago and offers displays of pumpkins, brightly colored gourdes, gourmet caramel apples, carnival rides, a Halloween costume shop and haunted wagon rides. October attractions are open Monday – Thursday from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., and Friday – Sunday from 10 a.m. - 9:30 p.m.