- Cable: Most Americans only watch 17 cable channels on a regular basis – but the average cable bill costs $99/month.
- Solution: Opting for Netflix ($10), Hulu ($7.99), Amazon Prime ($8.25) and HBO Now ($15), comes out to $41.24 — less than half the cost of the average cable bill.
- Savings: $57.76/month
- Gas: The
average driver logs 41 miles/day, with the average gas price at
$2.23/gallon – that’s $3.87 per day to drive a gas-powered vehicle.
- Solution: An electric vehicle that can go 60 miles on a single charge. With electricity at roughly 12¢ per kWh, that would cut your cost to $2.46 per day.
- Savings: $1.41 per day, up to $473.76 annually
- Commute: The average office space is $33,345 to rent, while the average commute time is 22.8 minutes a day.
- Solution: A virtual office solution, such as Podio or Trello, can outright eliminate these costs.
- Savings: $621/year (for employers and employees)
- Landline: The average cost of a landline is $35 a month while the average cost of a cell phone bill is $73 a month.
- Solution: With a VoIP solution like Ooma, you could make unlimited nationwide calls over the internet for just $3.99 a month. Ooma is the only smart home phone service available, integrating with Nest to provide consumers peace of mind if smoke is detected and if a child or elderly parent didn’t arrive home when expected. Ooma also integrates with Amazon Echo, Philips Hue, Apple Watch, Android Wear, WeMo and LIFX light bulbs.
- Savings: $30/month
Wednesday, October 5, 2016
Shopping Savings: Changing Common Habits
World Savings Day is on October 31, and with that in mind, you might be interested to hear how consumers can save big by not only cutting the cable cord, but doing away with a few other traditional habits: