Moist Coffee Cake Muffins - recipe from Nielsen-Massey
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (4 tablespoons), softened
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Coffee Extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey Organic Fairtrade Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
In a large mixing bowl, add butter, sugars and vanilla extract. With a handheld mixer, beat on medium-high speed until incorporated, about 2-3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Reduce speed to low. Add dry ingredients one-half at a time alternating with sour cream, beat after each addition; scrape sides of bowl as needed. Do not overmix batter.
Fill each liner with 2 heaping tablespoons of batter then evenly place a heaping tablespoon of topping on batter. Firmly press topping into batter with finger tips. Some of the topping should be visible.
Bake until done about 15-17 minutes. Serve muffins warm. To cool, carefully place muffins in 2 (9 x 13 inches) pans and cover with plastic wrap; set aside to cool. Make sure the wrap does not touch the muffin tops; this method of cooling will make delicious Moist Coffee Cake Muffins.