Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Book Nook: She's Almsot a Teenagor - Essential Conversations to Have Now

My daughter is just about double-digits, which means it's a great time to read a book I got to review, She's Almost a Teenagor: Essential Conversations to Have Now. I'm a big fan of keeping conversation open from an early age, before things get awkward - my parents did that, and I think it really helped us maintain a strong relationship through the teen years. With my kids, I've always had a policy of being ready to answer any question at any time, and not waiting or brushing it off with "you'll understand when you're older."

This book goes through several essential conversations to have - about body image, relationships, school, money, faith, and more. With each talk, it provides ways to have the conversation, ideas for kids who are at a little bit different stage, and rationale for the advice given.

At the end there's a project thirteen and birthday box idea, to help encourage teens to set and make goals, and to celebrate the young women they are becoming.

All in all, the book is an excellent read, good for parents who haven't had tough conversations with their kids and don't know how to start, and for parents who have already been having these conversations and want to make sure nothing gets overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment