Thursday, November 2, 2017

Love, Life, and Lucille - the Benefits of an Cross-Generational Friendship

When she least expected it — but needed it most — workaholic Judy Gaman received a wakeup call in the form of centenarian Lucille Fleming. Lucille brought more than friendship into Judy's life; she brought perspective, inspiration and lessons that changed Judy's life forever. Everyone should have a Lucille in their life and this book brings her right to them. Readers should be prepared to laugh, cry, be madder than hell, and then end on a message that will forever change their perspective.

I had a chance to interview author Judy Gaman to learn more.


What was the inspiration behind writing the story? As a busy mom of 10 (his, mine, and ours) I had somehow still found time to be a workaholic. This was ironic since it was the very thing I resented my own parents for doing.  It wasn’t until Lucille, who was over 100 when we met, changed my life. Through nearly 4 years of her many life lessons, I realized what was really important. She taught me lessons that I can now pass on to my children. Lessons that I didn’t get from my parents. I decided to write this book and share these lessons because everyone should have a Lucille in their life.

Why do people find it surprising that friends can be decades apart in age? It’s sad, but most people don’t see the value in having older people as friends. Instead of sharing their wisdom, it often goes to the grave with them, like buried treasure. Friendship knows no age. My friendship with Lucille proved that the human experience is the same, regardless of what decade you grow up in. There is always a first love, a heartbreak, family drama, crushed dreams, and answered prayers.

What can older generations gain from a friendship with a younger person?
The elderly need something to look forward to. It’s what keeps them in the land of the living. Younger people, who are not family, offer a unique perspective about the world. Because they are friends and not relatives, the dialogue is open and without barriers. Younger people also bring a certain energy. When Lucille and I were together, she was able to see new places, new people, and have new experiences. This gave her a renewed sense of self and increased sense of adventure. It was like turning back the clock.

What are the benefits for a younger person who is friends with an older person?
Having a friend who is older is like having a life mentor. Lucille helped me keep things in perspective. She also reminded me many times that the world was not going to end any time soon, regardless of what was going on in Washington, the weather, or even societal changes. Older people give a sense of stability to a very chaotic world.

Pre-order Love, Life and Lucille at www.judygaman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment