Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Book Nook: The World in a Rainbow

Children are fascinated by colors.  This fascination begins at a very early age.  Studies have shown that learning with colors can help a child develop emotionally and socially.  The studies also show that bright and vibrant colors are the ones that have the largest impact on children.  Why is this?  What draws children to colors?  Why are they so fascinated by colors?

I had a chance to interview award winning author/illustrator, Matthew Boyd of The World In A Rainbow.
Tell me about your book.
Children are fascinated by colors and drawn to them at a very early age.  The World in a Rainbow wonders what the world looks like from the inside of a rainbow seen thru the eyes of a little girl who wakes up from a nap to spy the end of a rainbow outside.  She takes on the form of various animals the color of each color in the rainbow. Each color offers something different and new for the little girl to see and experience. It’s a book very close to my heart because I really wrote it with my youngest daughter, who is fascinated by rainbows.

What led you to write it?
My youngest daughter loves rainbows and she asked me one day what’s inside a rainbow. It made me stop and think for a minute, and as we talked further about the rainbow and what might inside, we decided each color had an animal. She and I planned the book together and selected each animal that would symbolize one color of the rainbow.   This book, out of all four books that I have created is the one that she and I worked on together.  She even drew the rainbow that appears on the dedication page.  This is why The World In A Rainbow holds such a special place in my heart. 

Why is color so attention-getting for kids?
Colors are beautiful and stand out in kid’s minds.  The different colors stand out and I believe kids see the difference and are fascinated and amazed by the vivid beauty of each color.  After mommy and daddy, colors are probably the first things that children realize are different.

How can parents capitalize on a love of color?
Colors can help kids develop a love of reading and playing on their own.   Colors help spark kids’ imagination.  Sometimes kids don’t want to read or want their parents to constantly entertain them. If your child likes colors it’s easier to read them books that use a lot of colors, helping them stay engaged. Same goes with toys.
What social and emotional benefits does color have?
There are numerous benefits that colors have for children, they help with eye and hand coordination, on focus, relaxation, self-expression, and creativity. 

What colors do you observe children draw to? 
Without a doubt, kids are drawn to bright colors. My daughters have always loved purple and pink. Colors that really stand out. Kids always love bright reds or blues. It depends on the child and that’s why I think most kids are drawn to rainbows - they show all the colors, they appear out of what seems like nowhere and they have all the bright and vibrant colors in them.  Who knows, maybe even an animal or two in them like my daughter and I imagined?!? 

No comments:

Post a Comment