Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Music Minute: 123 Andrés - Canta las Letras

In order to learn to read, kids need to not only identify letters, but also sounds - and when learning another language, it's useful to understand the phonic system of that language too.

Canta las Letras, the new album by Latin GRAMMY winners 123 Andrés, was crafted as a musical learning tool for families who speak Spanish at home, as well as those who are learning it as a second language. The album includes 38 original songs in Spanish to help
children learn letter sounds while they dance along to cheerful rhythms and melodies from across the Latin American hemisphere. The songs are arranged in alphabetical order, and kids and parents may personalize the experience and reinforce language learning by shuffling the songs to reflect their favorite sounds and letters.

The songs are upbeat, and honestly great for kids of any age who are learning Spanish (even an older kid, or a Spanish classroom at school). It has a great Latin flavor and fun rhythms, and it's just a fun bilingual album.

I had a chance to interview Andrés to learn more.

Why did you start performing music?Andres: I have been performing all my life! I started with the recorder when I was six and the guitar when I was eight. I started writing songs when I was little, too, so playing music, performing and creating has always been a part of my life.

But what kind of music? I played folk music, I had a rock band, and for a long time I thought I was going to play classical music for a living. It wasn’t until later that I realized how many kids are growing up in the US who speak Spanish, and want to hear songs that challenge their abilities and push them further in their bilingualism – or who just want to jam, no matter the language!

How can music be beneficial for someone learning a language?
Christina: The rhyme and rhythm helps us become more familiar with words. Also, we write our songs so that you’ll be able to hear lots of new words, different verb tenses and expressions. And of course it’s fun! Loving a song may make you curious about what the words are saying, and how it translates.

Even for families who aren't striving to be bilingual, what are the benefits of listening to music that incorporates multiple languages?

Andrés: Sometimes we appreciate music for the beauty of the sounds, not just for the words. In Canta las Letras, as in all of our albums, we brought in a wide variety of genres to explore, to stretch everyone’s ears. And of course, when I listen to music in a language I don’t speak, it also gives me a reality check for what it’s like for people who – because of immigration or another reason – don’t speak the majority language where they live, and a reminder to be compassionate and patient. It makes me thankful that I am bilingual, and curious to learn about other languages I don’t yet speak!

For a learning guide to the songs, visit www.123andres.com/aprendemos.

Find the album on
Amazon -

No comments:

Post a Comment