Monday, November 23, 2020

Book Nook: The Naughty List


Not even the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade could persuade the people lining the streets to look up from their phones. Santa Claus was a no-show. When word spreads that Santa has, in fact, been kidnapped, it’s up to a group of unfairly labeled children culled from The Naughty List to rescue Santa and remind everyone of the true meaning of Christmas. 

That's the premise of Thomas Conway's tale, The Naughty List. It's a very creative tale that skillfully weaves together pop culture and the tradition of Santa Claus - but even more as well. Winter holiday beliefs from around the world, both ancient and modern, make appearances in the book, finding a home along with classic Christmas movies.

It's a good holiday book for those who want something that incorporates the spirit of goodwill without being overtly religious, or who likes to find the common ground that exists around the world. The book is a classic tale of good vs. evil and love vs. fear, but with an updated context. It also has lessons about labeling children and using mistakes as learning opportunities, as well as appreciating each other and combining our talents.

Learn more in this interview.

What inspired you to write The Naughty List?

Since my first child was born, I always told my kids stories at bedtime. One of their favorites was about the North Pole recruiting naughty kids to save Santa. After years of the story changing, I memorialized the story in a manuscript in 2015. I spent a few more years just reading the manuscript to the kids when the family insisted that I publish the book. At the end of 2019, The Naughty List was published.

Throughout the book, a team of children (all on the naughty list) are recruited to help on the wonderful adventure, which character did you enjoy most writing?

My favorite character is Mithra Bentley. She is a nerdy girl that is obsessed with weather. I was very much the same in my youth (except the girl part). I often got into trouble for following my academic passions too far. Mithra learns that her knowledge can be extremely important and her underlying confidence grows in the story. Part of what makes her my favorite is that this book is just the beginning of her journey. When I tell my kids the stories that take place after the book, Mithra becomes a greater part of the story. Her optimism and self-assurance remind me of my daughter.

In the end, Tiberius shows us that children, although sometimes naughty, should not be defined by their mistakes and Mrs. Claus scraps the 'Naughty List', was this topic close to your heart? 

This was perhaps the toughest part of publishing the book. When I look back at my childhood, I remember getting into trouble without knowing I was doing anything wrong. As a result of the negative feedback, I began to think I was a bad person and could not tell right from wrong. It became a negative-feedback loop and it was not until I became an adult that I began to understand my “naughty” behavior was the result of isolated actions and not a general character failing. I would tell my kids The Naughty List in an effort for them to understand that naughty behavior will happen for all kids, but that does not mean they are naughty kids. As an avid reader of history, I am appalled at the way children have been treated over the centuries. Even John Locke, the hero of personal liberty, did not consider this right to extend to children. As times have evolved, I hope The Naughty List can become part of the Christmas lore and help us abandon this hurtful labeling of our most precious resource; children.

 

The Naughty List, winner of the 2020 Indie Book Award in the E-Book Fiction category, is the first release from Thomas Conway. His 30-year career spans various industries. When not at work, he devotes his time to environmental matters and inventing stories for his two children.  

No comments:

Post a Comment