Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Book Nook - Here I Am, I Am Me: An Illustrated Guide to Mental Health

 I recently had a chance to review the book Here I Am, I Am Me: An Illustrated Guide to Mental Health

I consider myself fortunate that my kids are pretty comfortable with talking about mental health. However, I know there are a lot of parents who don't really bring up the topic - either because they don't feel they know enough about it, or because it's not a topic they feel comfortable discussing.

This book can help with that. It's a graphic novel, which means it's written in a way that is accessible to readers with many different abilities. The writing style makes it comfortable and helps destigmatize the conversation around mental health. It's also a good way to start conversations between adult and child, or at least to give kids language to use in discussing their feelings.

It manages to cover a lot of topics in a concise yet thorough way: mindfulness, substance abuse, depression, suicide, and a lot more. If you aren't quite sure how to start a discussion with your kids about mental health, this is a good resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment