Monday, August 31, 2026

Book Nook - Fireline Author Interview

Author Peter Berk grew up with storytelling in his blood. His late father, Howard Berk, was a veteran television and film writer and did the writing for the Rockford Files and Columbo. Peter followed him into writing, working in television and screenwriting before becoming a novelist—and even collaborated creatively with his father on stories that eventually became his TimeLock novels.

Now Peter’s son, Jordan Berk, is an author as well.

I had a chance to interview Peter, who discusses what three generations of professional writers can teach us about storytelling, how the craft has changed from his father's era of television to today's publishing world, what he learned from writing for the screen, and what it's like watching his son continue the family 

Peter's newest novel, FireLine, begins with a scientific breakthrough intended to purify the world's waterways that goes catastrophically wrong, setting off a rapidly escalating disaster. At its center is a provocative question: What happens when the technology created to save the world becomes the thing threatening to destroy it?

What was it like to grow up with a successful Hollywood writer as a father?
It was a magnificent experience, especially since I loved the shows he wrote for, including “Columbo,” “Mission: Impossible” and “The Rockford Files.” And I got to marvel at his talent first-hand as he put those scripts together – especially knowing how challenging writing for such intricately-woven shows like those could be. 

How did he impact you becoming a writer?
I’ll never be in his league, but my dad inspired me to truly learn the craft of writing, including doing the research necessary to lend maximum credibility to the characters, story and setting and taking the time to fine-tune every line of dialogue or prose rather than hurry through the process. 

What was it like to co-author with him?
It was a true honor and an invaluable learning experience for me. In reality, my father did most of the actual writing when we worked on scripts together, but over time I certainly contributed a good deal in terms of storylines and characterizations. The best part was just spending extra time together since we were extremely close anyway.

What are some things that you've learned about storytelling?
To do everything possible to have your readers as invested in what happens to your characters as you are as the writer and to try to surprise your readers even if they feel certain where a story is headed or how it will end.

What do you enjoy the most about writing? The least?
I honestly love every aspect of writing once I’ve mapped out the basic story, structure and lead characters. Like most writers, what I like least is staring at a blank screen before a single word has been written and wondering if this time, writer’s block will finally stop me in my tracks completely.

What was the inspiration behind Fireline?
Most readers assume Fireline was inspired by global warming or the increasing number of climate change-related fires of late, but I actually wrote the story outline for the project many years ago and then decided to turn it into a novel two years ago thanks to the support of my publisher, IngramElliott. In my mind, the story certainly focuses on science gone astray, but the heart of the book is really the two relationships that change the life of our hero, Kyle Bonham – the romantic love he has for the woman he plans to marry and the near-paternal love (one that undergoes a shocking turn along the way) he has with his boss and mentor, Dr. Noah Warner.

How did you research for it?
Lots of online research and asking more than a few questions to a couple of friends in the sciences.

How did you develop the characters?
I wanted the lead to undergo a personal trial – in this case, a literal trial – when he’s found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and finds himself tormented by the possibility that he may actually have been at fault even as he’s suddenly tasked with stopping a seemingly unstoppable chemical fire that could soon threaten much of the world. As it happens, this inner torment not only threatens his relationship with his fiancĂ©e, Melanie, but threatens to keep him emotionally imprisoned long after he’s actually released from jail.

Will there be a possible sequel to Fireline with the leading characters?
I’m working on one right now!

Your son is a writer, how does it feel to know he is carrying on the family tradition? How did you find out about him continuing the family line in writing?
My oldest son, Jordan, is a successful computer programmer so nobody other than his wife knew he was working on a novel. Then, on Father’s Day three years ago, he handed me my gift in the form of a thick manila envelope with a completed manuscript inside – a time travel epic entitled The Timestream Verdict. I was delighted and beyond surprised, but a little nervous to read it, knowing how tough it would be to critique my own son’s work. As it turned out, though, five pages in, I realized it was better than my novels and in fact terrific enough to send to IngramElliott, which published it a few months later.

What is it like to be the middle of a three-generation legacy of writers?
For someone who deals with words for a living, I can honestly say there are no words to properly convey how proud I am, especially since it’s given me the opportunity to honor my late father and to see Jordan so skillfully carry on the family tradition.

What advice would you give to someone who wants to pursue a career as an author?
The corniest but truest advice possible – keep at it as long as it takes. I was writing scripts and books for many, many years before IngramElliott changed my life forever, so as tough as it can be to wait that long and to cope with the inevitable rejections along the way, the important thing to remember is that when it comes to writing, there happily is no age limit. Indeed, my dad was still writing into his 90’s and I plan on doing the same thing if I’m fortunate enough

No comments:

Post a Comment