Monday, July 13, 2015

Consumer Critique: Digital Filmmaking for Kids and Coding for Kids (for Dummies Series)

Disclosure: I received complimentary products to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.

As a homeschooling mom, I love the fact that I get to pick electives and fun things to learn that my daughter is interested in. It's even more fun to interest my kids in tech skills, with technology-related careers a growing option. Two of the last installments in the For Kids For Dummies series that I got to try are: Digital Filmmaking For Kids For Dummies and Coding For Kids For Dummies. They also have options for different programming methods, including Scratch, Raspberry Pi, Python, and JavaScript; and a Minecraft Modding guide.

The For Dummies series breaks things down simply and is written with a conversational tone, so it's accessible to everyone, no matter what their beginning skill level. The For Kids portion of the series is geared towards kids 7-16. The nice thing with the way they're written is that younger kids can understand, with minimal adult intervention; but they don't sound childish, so they'll still appeal to younger teens. My almost 8-year-old daughter was able to complete some of the more simple tasks and projects in each book in just the few days we've had them, and they'll be a great way to continue to stave off summer boredom, especially on rainy days!


No comments:

Post a Comment