Thursday, June 1, 2017

Book Nook: The President & Me

I'm a teacher, so I love reading educational books for kids. I also find that even I enjoy historical concepts myself more if they're presented in a fun way. I recently reviewed The President and Me: George Washington and the Magic Hat. Fifth-grader Sam is on a field trip to Mount Vernon, abandoned by his friend, and struggling to find his place. The magic three-cornered hat takes him back and forth from the present to the relationship between George and Martha Washington and his 18th-century life.

Books like this help kids see history come alive, and be able to relate it to their own lives. As Sam learns more about George Washington, he learns about himself and what friendship and family means. At 144 pages, it's a great length for kids - enough to learn a lot about the first president, more than they'd necessarily learn from a history book, but not so long that it's hard to read. It's a great book for kids interested in history, or those learning about American history in school who need a little jump start to get into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment