Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Book Nook: Paint and Frame - Botanical Painting


I recently had a chance to review Paint and Frame: Botanical Painting. This book has twenty different modern watercolor projects. It definitely goes outside the box with botanical painting - I was picturing just flowers, but the fun thing is that the author includes urban botanical scenes as well, which helps artists recognize the ways nature influences even the busiest cities.

The book comes with several frames, as well as instructions for how to decorate the frames with pleasing patterns. It makes it easy to instantly try out projects and display them well - or to give as a nice handmade gift.

I had a chance to interview author Sara Meadows to learn more.

How did you get interested in painting?

I've always loved painting from as long as I can remember. I studied Textile Design at university and a  lot of my projects involved painting, it was from here that I realized it was the creative side of textiles I enjoyed the most. I use it as a form of relaxation, especially after giving birth to my daughter 4 years ago I would paint whilst she slept in the evening. 

What advice do you have for a beginning painter?

I would advise beginners to have fun experimenting with paints, pencils and paper. Don't worry about getting things "perfect' or developing a style straight away. Find inspiration from your surroundings- this could be a book, landscape or flower. Enjoy what you're creating and you'll develop your own ideas organically. 

How can parents encourage artistic expression in their kids?

When I paint with my daughter I leave her to be as free as possible with paints and paper. I try not to give too much direction (as long as she's not painting the walls)and let her creativity flow.  

What advantages do artistic pursuits have for adults?

Having an artistic hobbie as an adult really helps relax the mind and I use it as a form of meditation. If you can push it as a career it can take you to amazing places and give you a sort of freedom that many jobs don't.


Sara Boccaccini Meadows was born in the far north of the United Kingdom, where she spent much of her time exploring the outdoors with her parents and little sister. After graduating, she spent many years travelling the world, finding inspiration from different cultures and developing her unique painterly style. After living in the United Kingdom, South Korea, and Australia, she eventually settled in New York City in 2012, where she splits her time between textile design, illustration, and being a mother to her three-year-old daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment