Monday, September 10, 2018

Book Nook: How to be Perfect Like Me

September is National Recovery Month, and I really appreciated the chance I got to review How to be Perfect Like Me by Dana Bowman.

In the book, Dana is funny, witty, and completely up-front about her struggles with sobriety. She talks about her first attempt to become sober, what led up to her relapse, and how the relapse affected her relationships and her own sense of self-worth.

Honestly, I don't have a whole lot of experience with alcoholism. This book was a really good read for me just because it made it a lot more understandable. I didn't know much about recovery, and obviously it's going to vary from person to person, but reading one person's canded account can provide more empathy for all those who are struggling with sobriety - especially people who don't understand the effort it takes to maintain it.

The book can also be inspiring to those who have their own struggles with alcoholism. It doesn't excuse relapses, but it also makes it more bearable to see someone else who has relapsed and come through it, continuing to work on the journey of sobriety. It's an intriguing book and I'm glad I got to review it.

No comments:

Post a Comment