Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Website Spotlight: Radiant Mom

Do you ever look at moms, the ones who have this incredible spark, tons of energy and just seem to be LOVING life and ask yourself- how DOES she do it!?

The truth is, we all have the same 24 hours in each day, but some moms just seem to be able to get MORE out of those hours. Deanne Barrett is here to help those mothers who are struggling to make the most out of their days.

Deanne is this generation’s thought leader in parenting teenagers. Her mission is to guide moms to parent their teens from the mind AND the heart as they evolve into a stronger, more spiritually awakened version of themselves.

With wisdom and heart, Deanne inspires a global community of women to parent from their deepest values as they lead their children into the joy and pleasure of adult life. Deanne started her career teaching high school English Language Arts and advocating for LGBTQA students in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Early in her career, Deanne dedicated herself to understanding the effects of school life on the human heart and mind and earned an M.A. in Education.  Deanne is a mother, nature lover, writer, meditation teacher, and gratitude artisan.  As a child, Deanne spent her summers mountain biking, reading, and wading in the cold streams of the Rocky Mountains which led to her profound connection with nature, and her love of great novels.

Many women may think:
  • How can I stop REACTING to my kids and feel calmer and more grounded?
  • What can I do to feel more lit up, vibrant, and energized?
  • How can I nurture my connection with my kids when they won't get off their phone?
  • How can I even begin to make a difference in the world when I just want to go back to bed?
Deanne has interviewed over 20 different women, from new moms to women who are grandmothers, women who have lived through post-partum depression, chronic illness, cancer, divorce, raising children with exceptionalities, mental health concerns and drug addiction and yet who still have found a way to share their light in this world. Deanne has put the interviews together in an online show called Radiant Mom: How to stop the mental chatter, shine your unique light and lead with love in your family and community.

Life is not about expecting yourself to feel radiant every second of every day, and it’s not about comparing yourself to a group of women who seem to have life all figured out. This IS about finding ways to tap into inner radiance so that when life happens, and you’re busy, frazzled, overwhelmed, unsure, you have a place inside yourself to come back to. Radiant Mom is about coming back home to inner radiance.

I had a chance to interview Deanne to learn more.

Why is it important for parents to nurture connections with their children?
Children and teens needs their parent's guidance and leadership. Every time we connect with our kids by taking an interest in them and getting curious about how they understand the world, we're building a powerful connection of trust and respect so that we can guide them along the path of health and success. When we're disconnected from our kids, we're not in a position to influence them and help them make wise decisions.The best gift we can give our kids is our un-divided attention and our belief in them as problem-solvers. When our kids can feel our support and encouragement, they learn to trust themselves to make decisions, and they know that we're with them in the process of re-calculating when they make mistakes. We all need a community of support to lean on during hard times and celebrate with during good times, and children learn this from their parents. 

How can they do that in today's connected world?
Everyone wants to feel like they are accepted, and that they belong. The power of living in a family is that we get to learn how to have in-person, daily interactions that create our relationships. Playfulness and compassion are two incredible gifts that parents can bring into their everyday interactions with their kids to connect and re-direct their child's behaviour.  Parents are the leaders of the family, and it's up to them to create times that are just for family fun, whether it's family boardgame night, or a road-trip adventure. Many families find that having one evening each week set aside just for screen-free family time  is a great way to balance their teen's need for making their own plans with the expectation that there will be some scheduled family time. The key here is helping teens to figure out what they need in the course of a week in order to feel like they can bring the best of themselves into this family time. Many parents offset this screen-free expectation with sending and receiving goofy snapchat messages with their teens throughout the week, so they're connecting with their teens both offline and online. 

How are you able to make time for yourself, your family, and your career goals?
I didn't always feel like I had time for me, but I know that it's necessary for me to nourish my spirit so that I can be fully present with my kids and my partner. As the leader of the Radiant Mom tribe, I "walk my talk" and make sure that I'm attending to my inner radiance every day, so that I have the capacity to lead the moms in my community. I spend time every day in meditation, prayer, and gratitude to get clear on what I need, and to live from the core of who I am. That allows me to be grounded and present with my clients, and  more playful with my family. Each week I set a schedule for my work and family commitments and I stick to it- this builds self-trust so I know I can meet my work commitments, and it builds trust with my family because they know that when I'm with them, I'm really present, and not distracted by my phone or work. 

Why are joy and creativity important and how can moms make more room in their lives for them? 
If we want our children to grow into thriving adults, we need to show them what that looks like. Moms who schedule in time for their own creativity and activities that bring them joy are powerful role models for their kids, and they are so much more fun to be around! A radiant mom is a woman who knows what lights up her soul and prioritizes and invests in herself so that she can lead her family and community with her powerful heart-centered presence. 

Deanne Barrett M.A. is an educator, speaker and coach who is dedicated to helping moms lead their family and community with their authentic light and love. Deanne helps moms all over the globe to step into their big vision and make heart-centered decisions with confidence and clarity. Deanne lives in Calgary with her husband and two children, and you might find her at a local coffee shop with her laptop, or riding her bike along the pathways throughout the city! Connect with Deanne on Instagram @radiantmomtribe or on her website www.radiantmom.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment