Friday, November 8, 2019

Music Minute: Dog on Fleas - I'm an Optimist

Amid the negative headlines and alarming trends in our culture right now, it can be difficult to find ways to enjoy everyday life. Dog on Fleas provides a set of 12 new original songs that serve up an antidote to negativity and stress, thereby redirecting weary brains toward more positive pathways. I’m an Optimist is available from CDBaby, Apple Music, Bandcamp, and Spotify.

Dean Jones is leader of Dog on Fleas and a GRAMMY winning producer. He says the album simply encourages listeners to take another look at the miracles of small things like ants and bees and the fact that your head doesn’t fall off when you sneeze. "I'm an optimist. If you give me a glass, I'll fill it up for you.”  As a band, they don't care if the glass is half empty OR half full, they will fill it up for you!

In the first track, “Can Do Attitude,” the band makes light of their own bad attitudes. Band mate John Hughes says, "Nope, can't be done!" at the beginning of the song but by the end he's saying "Hey look at that. I guess it did kinda work out... I think I was the one that came up with that can do attitude, right?" For anyone suffering from overwork and high expectations, the 60s pop style tune “Oh Lazy Me” is just the ticket. The other songs focus on the animal world, word association, sunny days, a star village, and that strange feeling you get when you meet a person who looks just like you: your “Doppelgänger.” The title track “I’m an Optimist” is a groovy horn-laced R&B song asserting that it’s possible to make yourself healthier and happier by consciously taking a ride “over to the optimist side.” The cover art for I'm an Optimist is by Cindy Hoose, who has also designed several other Dog on Fleas album covers, in collaboration with Jacinta Bunnell and Michael Wilcock.

For updates and more information about Dog on Fleas, visit www.dogonfleas.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment