Friday, May 14, 2021

Book Nook: A Coat of Yellow Paint

 COAT OF YELLOW PAINT is a collection of intimate and vulnerable essays from author and lifestyle writer Naomi Davis. In her book she shares her journey of infertility, ignoring parenting advice from strangers,  making the right choices for you as a woman and mother, and so much more. 

I had a chance to do an interview with the author to learn more.

Can you tell us about your life journey from Juilliard dancer to sharing moments through your lifestyle site Love Taza?

I started my blog, Love Taza, inbetween my junior and senior year at Juilliard as a way to journal visually by keeping photographs and videos and thoughts more organized. I quickly learned I thoroughly enjoyed the creative outlet the blog provided and 14 years later, I’m still at it!


Your new book “A Coat of Yellow Paint” shares stories you haven’t told before. Can you tell us more about why you felt it was time to open up on topics like infertility?

I think sometimes we don’t give ourselves the proper time and care we might need in processing new and trying life experiences because we live in this world where we’re so connected and everything appears to be immediate. While I was in the midst of many of the stories I share in my book, I knew the world weighing in on these experiences I hadn’t made sense of myself just yet could possibly break me.   In a world of sharing, I think it’s crucial to hold space for yourself to sit with something however long you might need. With time and a lot of personal growth, I’m thankful to have incredible tools under my belt now to confidently own my story and am hopeful by sharing more of my lessons learned with others (and the tools I’ve gained over the years to do so), can help another woman as she navigates her own life experiences.


Why did you decide to call the book “A Coat of Yellow Paint?”

Years ago, I painted our old brown piano my absolute favorite color—yellow! It brings sunshine and cheer into my day each time I glance over and see this bright spot in our home. I think the visual of painting my piano yellow is a great set up for the bigger messaging of my book, which is to celebrate those little things around you and really make them yours as you move through the noise of life to truly love the life you live!

 

I bet life with 5 kids can be chaotic at times. What are some of the ways you incorporate juggling 5 kids in your life as you still participate in things you love?

I’ve loved introducing my children to the things I love to participate in. I love dancing so we have a lot of dance parties each day together. And I love to bake so we definitely are in the kitchen a lot whipping up cookies. And while I am not a morning person in the slightest, I have been waking up a few mornings each week before my household to sneak in some sequences of yoga. I can’t tell you what it’s doing for my headspace! Worth the early wakeup call!


 Your family moved to Arizona this year. What are some of your favorite things to do there?

With the pandemic, I feel like we’re still hovering a bit over our new life since we haven’t yet gotten out to explore Arizona or meet too many people just yet. We are so looking forward to more adventures here. But we’ve also really leaned into just being outside together in our yard each day, which is where we spend most of our time. The first thing we did when we moved was build a chicken coop, so we have a yard with 18 chickens running around and it’s quite the scene as we catch the sunset together each night. We’re looking forward to creating more favorite things to do together here in Arizona soon!





ABOUT: Naomi Davis is the popular writer, entrepreneur and creator of “Love Taza,”whose debut book, Coat of Yellow Paint: Moving Through the Noise to Love the Life You Live (March 30, 2021, Harper Horizon) was released this spring. In the book, Naomi shares a collection of intimate and vulnerable essays that explore being a wife, raising five children, and living an authentic life, in the candid way only she can. 

Purchase Naomi’s book: https://lovetaza.com/book/
Follow Naomi on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/taza/
Follow Naomi’s blog: https://lovetaza.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment