Saturday, October 16, 2021

Book Nook: Twinkle Fairies

 Judy Toma has published “Twinkle Fairies” a whimsical children’s book that focuses on diversity, the values of kindness and helping the environment. Her book would be a great gift for any boy or girl, as it is colorfully illustrated to teach kids valuable life lessons with the help of fairy friends.

Toma invites readers to embark on a journey of self-discovery and to embrace the joys of life. The story is told with bright illustrations that remind children to be kind, like the fairies flying throughout the picture book. Throughout the book, the fairies will become friends with each child who reads the story and shares the important messages of taking care of one another and the environment. From picking up trash to planting trees, Toma highlights ways to heal the earth with the help of the fairy friends.

I had a chance to interview her to learn more.

  • Why did you write this book?

 At the time, I had just changed professions from actor to a healing profession, pondering, what am I doing in my life? This poem poured into my mind, feeling it was channeled from Mother Earth to help the earth and focusing on the children to teach them how important the world we live in is. It wasn't till I was cleaning out my basement with my assistant Karl that I even considered it a book. He said he wanted to read it to his son. So, I went on Facebook and found an amazing illustrator who lived in Italy. 2 years later, the book was born. 

 

 

  • Why is it important for kids to have books that incorporate positive values? 

We all know we are living in difficult times, covid, masks, etc., it was a scary time for adults but also children. I believe we all need a soft place to land, a place where we feel accepted. Maybe that's in a book. Even if the Fairies are imaginary, they become your friends. When your friends can teach you good values in a playful way, it's easier to learn the truth. Kindness, helping, caring, and love are the truths. 

 

  • How can books toe the line between teaching a lesson and not being too preachy? 

Through the words and colorful pictures and friends who care about you while having fun, you can learn positive lessons and become adults who change the world.

 

  • What makes books about fairies appealing to kids? 

 I love fantasy, and who doesn't want to escape from time to time? I believe Fairies are real. I've seen them in my plants when I'm gardening, which is one of my passions. I have Fairy houses in my garden and try to plant flowers. I know the Fairies will get protection from the rain. Like the bees, we need to protect what is feeding us, be it honey or a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment