Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Book Nook: Hidden Agendas


During a medical symposium trip to London, Dr. Kyle Chandler stumbles on a mysterious system of product smuggling to the United States. What he witnesses could put him in danger, but his curious and inquisitive nature takes over as he looks deeper into the mystery. His search takes him to New York, then back home to Kansas City, where he realizes that he’s entered into a powerful, complex network involving organized crime.In addition to his amateur and dangerous investigative work, Dr. Chandler is trying to determine where he stands with the intriguing Caroline Martinelli, an attractive and successful antiques dealer whose intelligence and quick wit fuel his interest in her. As he pursues this web of illegal product distribution, escalating threats to him (and the beautiful Caroline) reveal the truth – and the truth nearly costs him his life.

In a climactic ending, Dr. Chandler's inquiry leads him to a showdown with the organized crime don. Using his persistence to expose the smuggling scheme while protecting himself and his girlfriend, will the proverbial David overcome Goliath in this thriller?

You can learn more in this interview:

What inspired your story?
My series of suspense/thriller books is inspired by all the crazy individuals and hard-to-believe situations I experienced or heard about during my career in medicine for over thirty years.
How does a new story idea come to you? Is it an event that sparks the plot or a character speaking to you?

For my first novel, I used all my experiences as a surgeon over a career of thirty years as the basis for my story. I knew from the start that this story was going to expand into a series of books about my protagonist in the future. For each successive novel, I generally make a rough outline of the plot and where I want to go with story to keep the reader interested. The trick for me is expanding the personalities of the principal characters forward with each story while introducing new characters at the same time.
Is there a message/theme in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

I think my protagonist in each novel is like David facing overwhelming odds against a Goliath opponent. In each story, it leads to the theme of “never give up.”

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
I learned that after over thirty years in a career of medicine, the rules of thinking in that field were fairly rigid. I realized that thinking and expressing yourself through writing could really open up how I view the world.

What was your greatest challenge in writing this book?
For my first novel, my challenge was finding a publisher who really enjoyed the fast-paced plot and snappy dialogue between characters in my novel. For my following novels, the challenge is promoting my product to a wide audience. The odds are really against you unless you are a famous celebrity.

Buy the book:
Amazon
B&N

Learn more:
https://www.dmarshallcraigbooks.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment