Paris & Pop-Pop is a children’s book series by award-winning filmmaker Nadhege. Known for her short film Paris Blues in Harlem—featured in the PBS Online Film Festival—Nadhege has built a body of work exploring legacy, love, and Harlem community life. Her acting and directing career has been featured across Showtime, PBS, CBS, NBC, and more.
Her latest storytelling venture bridges that same cultural lens into children’s literature. Timed with Grandparents Day (Sept. 8), the Paris & Pop-Pop series honors the bond between children and their elders while tackling themes of legacy, creativity, and cultural preservation. The campaign also extends beyond the page, with literacy events, community partnerships, and digital activations designed to spark intergenerational dialogue.
I had a chance to learn more in this interview.
1. What was the inspiration behind the book?
The inspiration came from a lifelong longing; I never met or truly knew my grandfathers. In 2022, while the world was still easing out of lockdown, I finally saw a photograph of my maternal grandfather for the first time. That moment answered a question I had carried for decades. My connection with Samuel Hargress Jr., founder of the legendary Paris Blues jazz bar in Harlem, helped fill that void with his steady wisdom and his ability to keep his promises. His guidance provided the safe space I had missed and reminded me of the power of presence. Paris & Pop-Pop was born from that realization to show that grandfathers are protectors, teachers, and guardians of legacy.
2. How do you weave elements of legacy and culture into your writing?
Legacy and culture live in every line I write. The spirit of Harlem, the rhythm of jazz, and the wisdom of elders are always present. Paris Blues itself is a 1970s time capsule, a space that has held generations of laughter, music, and survival, and I channel that energy into my characters. I weave in memories, language, and values from across the Black Diaspora, so the pages feel alive with ancestry and truth. Each story becomes both a mirror and a bridge between what was and what must be preserved.
3. Why is it important for kids to learn how to honor and preserve their cultural heritage?
Children who understand their family stories develop an inner compass rooted in pride, belonging, and awareness. Knowing their family’s journey helps them recognize both strengths and the patterns passed down through generations that influence them. This awareness becomes a source of protection and resilience. Pride isn’t just about origin; it’s about understanding how those before us endured challenges, big or small. Through storytelling, children see that history isn’t just something that happened; it’s something they keep alive and transform every day.
4. How can families encourage intergenerational dialogue about traditions and family history?
Sometimes, direct questions can feel too heavy or put someone on the spot. That’s why I believe in natural, activity-based conversations. Families can start with books like Paris & Pop-Pop. Its prompts help make sharing feel effortless. Hands-on activities such as building a family tree, cooking traditional dishes, or making art together provide something tangible, a shared project that becomes both a memory and a keepsake. These objects carry the energy of connection, even when words aren’t enough. In homes where silence or trauma has made communication tough, creative collaboration can gently reopen the space for healing, connecting generations through the act of creating and remembering together.
No comments:
Post a Comment