Friday, December 30, 2011

Consumer Critique: Sweets on a Stick

One of the appeals of fair food is that so much of it is served on a stick. It's a different way to present foot, one that Sweets on a Stick: More Than 150 Kid-Friendly Recipes for Cakes, Candies, Cookies, and Pies on the Go! really utilizes. The book is by Linda Vandermeer, blogger at Bubble and Sweet (which has a lot of really creative ideas).

My only real complaint with the book is that I don't think there are enough pictures. I really like seeing them - they make me more interested in a recipe, and if there's assembly required it helps me see what it's supposed to look like. Otherwise, I think this book is a lot of fun.

Some of the ideas in this book are a little too cutesy for me - they require detailed assembly, and I'm not the kind of mother that can do that and have it turn out well. However, there are a lot of really neat ideas that if I had the time and patience to do correctly, I'd love to try.

The recipes are clear and detailed. Many of them are fairly kid-friendly, and my daughter loves helping me in the kitchen. Our favorite one so far is the hot chocolate on a stick - super easy and really tasty. Recipes include cupcakes, pies, cookies, and candies that are all appropriate on a stick, plus ideas for fruity combinations.

Most of the recipes and ideas in the book could also be used without sticks, so even if you don't think you'd ever do "on the stick" food, it's worth getting just to get some really fun, portable, one-serving ideas for parties.

Disclosure: I received a copy of "Sweets on a Stick" to facilitate this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment