Saturday, February 16, 2013

A Little Dachshund's Tale

April Leite is a former teacher and early childhood care director turned founder of Pupwalks, a unique and personalized dog walking service in New York City. She recently wrote her first book, A Little Dachshund's Tale. A Little Dachshund’s Tale takes readers on an adventure of how a very brave Frances Peabody came to live in New York City. The story is told by Frances herself and the friends she encounters along the way.

I had a chance to interview the author to find out a little more. 

1) What was the inspiration behind this story?
Frances inspired me to write this book. She brought so much joy to me and my family, I just wanted to share her story. 
2) From education to entrepreneur to author - how have you enjoyed the journey so far?

All of my choices have flowed from one to another and seemed closely related. I had always enjoyed working with children and have been around animals my entire life. When I ran my own center in the East Village, Frances came with me everyday. Circle time, reading stories to the children, was always my favorite part of the morning. Once I felt I had gone as far as I could with education, for me it seemed only natural to try and strike out on my own to work with animals (my second love) so I started my own dog walking and pet sitting service. My love for children and children's stories never left me and I continued to be inspired by my love for animals. Writing books where the main characters are animals and beloved pets seemed to be the next obvious and natural step for me.   

3) Who is the target of this story?

A Little Dachshund's Tale is an early reader book. It's an illustrated chapter book that I believe is suitable for children ages 5-10 however, I think it is also a story that parents will enjoy reading to their children as well. It is a story that all animal lovers particularly dog lovers will enjoy.

4) Are there more books in the works?

I have three other completed books: a counting book, a short story about a beekeeper who lives in Brooklyn, and a story about a pig named Higgilty Piggilty, who gathers an unlikely group of friends together for a Thanksgiving meal. I also have several other books in the works in addition to the follow-up book about Frances in the Little Dachshund’s series.

Disclosure: Post contains affiliate or sponsored links, which support this blog at no cost to you. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment