Thursday, June 20, 2013

Soul Sustenance: Life After Art

Disclosure: I received complimentary products to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.

My dad's an art teacher, and my two little girls love art, but I'm not so good at it. So I was intrigued by Life After Art: What You Forgot About Life and Faith Since You Left the Art Room. The author, Matt Appling, teaches Pre-Kindergarten through sixth grade art, as well as high school art history. He also writes for www.thechurchofnopeople.com and www.prodigalmagazine.com.
What I liked about this book is that it is written for everyone - the proficient artist and the no-talent stick-figure artist like me. The point of art class, and what people need to remember from their time in it, is much more than just the actual art techniques or history. Instead, it's lessons about creativity, about self-worth, about working hard.
The conversational, non-preachy tone of this book and the subject matter that everyone has at least some experience with make this book appropriate for anyone who may want to re-discover some of life's great lessons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment