Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Parenting Pointers: Overcoming Bullying (Interview with Maya Sienna)

Maya Sienna, Internationally known Pop Singer, is a spokesperson for "We're Kickin It."Maya Sienna has overcome bullying in her own life, but she turned it into a positive experience by pursuing her passion in singing and following her dreams. Maya is an advocate today that kids can overcome bullying and follow their dreams. I had a chance to ask her about her experiences.


1) Why do you think people can be bullied for both "good" and "bad" things (being too fat/too thin, too smart/too dumb)?
Bullies will pick on anyone, for any reason that they can, to make themselves feel better. They often do so because they are insecure or have trouble at home and they take their anger out on their victims.

2) How long did bullying go on for you, and what were some strategies you used?
I was bullied for about a month before I told my mom what was happening to me. At first, I was really nervous because I thought that if she told the school that it would make the bully mad and make the situation worse. But it turns out that I made the right decision and eventually I put all my attention on following my dream of singing.  Now I put my energy into the positive by following my dream and helping others overcome bullying.

3) Was there a relationship between bullying and your desire to perform, or were the two separate? 
Yes, there was a relationship between bullying and my desire to perform. I wanted to turn my negative experience of being bullied into a positive experience by following my dreams. I want to be an inspiration to others who have been through the same thing as me and show them that they can follow their dreams no matter what anyone says.

4) How do you advocate for anti-bullying now?
I am a spokesperson for the "Bullying...We're Kickin' It" National Campaign. I will be traveling all around the nation speaking to schools about the causes and effects of bullying and how to prevent it.

5) What inspired your current single? 
I wrote "Dollar" about a boy I had a crush on. I wanted to let him know that I don't care about how much he does or doesn't have. And that I don't need him to buy me expensive things like diamonds and pearls or take me to fancy places. I only care about him and what his heart has to offer. Anything else doesn't matter to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment