Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Consumer Critique: Let's Sew Together

Disclosure: I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. All opinions are my own.

My mom sews very well. Me? Not so much. But it's a skill I'd like to learn. I was excited to review Let's Sew Together: Simple Projects the Whole Family Can Make by Rubyellen Bratcher
to get some ideas for things that the girls and I can do to learn this skill.

The first few pages of the book act as a great intro to the vocabulary of sewing, as well as a quick tutorial for some basic stitches. If you are a complete beginner, you may need to do a little more poking around to find explanations or demonstrations online, but I think it was a great balance between being overly detailed and not providing enough information.

The ideas in the book are clearly identified by difficulty: no-sew, sew quick, make in an afternoon, and longer projects that may take more time and effort. Many of them don't require patterns at all. The ones that do can be found in the back of the book, and do need to be enlarged on a copier. We haven't tackled those projects yet, but the girls and I successfully made slippers and some cloth shape necklaces.

If you're an advanced seamstress, this isn't a book for you. But if you're a person with limited or no experience, you'll get some ideas you can use right away to create handmade projects that actually turn out pretty well!

No comments:

Post a Comment