Friday, October 24, 2014

Soul Sustenance: Abuse Victims

On average, nearly 20 people per minute are victims of physical violence by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.
 
Autumn Miles, a former victim of domestic violence, encourages all people to continue to raise awareness for the issue during October's Domestic Violence Awareness Month. 

Miles is the founder and CEO of The Blush Network, a women's conference organization dedicated to helping and strengthening women, and author of "Appointed." I had a chance to interview her to get more information.

Why are the messages in the book "Appointed" so important for victims of abuse?

The message in the book Appointed are vital to any woman that is tired of living a mundane life and ready to embrace ALL that our God has for them. I was that woman. For years, I let my life happen to me rather than seizing my life and directing it where God wanted it to go. I let my circumstances and my abusive ex-husband dictate my thought processes rather than calling on my Creator to reveal His purpose for my existence. In that marriage I met the power of God and began an intimate relationship with Him. It was in Him that the lies that I had been told for years were abolished. It was the Bible that showed me that I was of great significance and God had a specific plan for my life. Any woman with a past of abuse of trauma or mistake needs to hear that no matter what they are still chosen by God for use, but they have to choose to act upon it.  The abuse was debilitating until I realized that God wanted to use it to encourage others to rebuild their lives.

What does the Blush Network do?

The Blush Network’s mission is to spiritually challenge the way women think. The Blush Network was one of God specific purposes for my life. The call from God was a conference network that spoke clearly about the truth of God’s word to women. The Blush Network is now a network of many things, conferences, leadership programs, monthly events, women’s ministry intern program and cross cultural events. God has called us to reach out to the homeless, detention centers, rehab facilities, as well as reaching churched women.  We love and embrace all women!

How can concerned friends and family support people in abusive relationships?

Well-meaning friends and family need to know that the abused victim desperately needs them. It is important, however, that we support in a way that is productive. Many made comments to me like, “just leave him” or “don’t you see how mean he is to you?  Because of the intense brainwashing that takes place over time I was programmed to combat these comments with statements that protected my abuser.  I would get defensive because I had been told that “no one would ever love me if I left” and that “I was nothing.” An amazing way to support an abuse victim is to not give up on them. A victim is ostracized on purpose from loved ones and often times told when and how to speak to loved ones. The best support is for the friends and family to not give up. Let the victim know that you are there for them and will help them in any way when they are ready to leave. Offering a safe place to stay when they are ready to leave without any judgment or strings attached is an incredible support to any victim.

What can friends and family do for continued support after a victim has gotten out of the relationship?

Be sensitive. Unfortunately, abuse becomes comfortable over time to a victim. When a victim breaks free there is a level of discomfort that comes with being treated the right way. Triggers of abuse haunt a victim for years after breaking free therefore, it is so important to not assume that once they have broken free the ordeal is over. Check in on these women often and allow them to talk. If they open up to you, they feel comfortable with you, so continue to be available for her to process her thoughts with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment